Introduction to Screen Printing
With its origins in China between 960-1279AD, screen printing is one of the world’s most ancient crafts and continues to be a popular form of garment decoration, hobby and art. Even with the advent of digital printing, screen printing continues to be widely used to create t-shirts, graphics, posters, ceramics and more.
Today screen printing is enjoying a renaissance thanks to the availability of environmentally friendly inks, customer demand for more traditionally produced products and its cost-effectiveness compared to digital printing.
GJS has been running screen printing courses since the early 1990s and has been an industry leader since 1978 so if you attend this course you’ll truly be learning from the experts.
On the day you'll learn and practice:
- Overview of the screen printing process
- The importance of mesh selection—the pros and cons of different mesh counts and colours
- Understanding screen tension
- Wooden frames vs. aluminium frames
- Screen Preparation prior to stencil making—conditioning and degreasing
- Emulsion coating technique and the different types of emulsion
- How to create stencils as well as exposure and washout times
- Blotting, drying and post exposure techniques'
- How to set up your print jobs
- Positioning your print on your t-shirt
- Hands-on creation of your own t-shirts including pressure, flood coating and squeegee angle
- Curing your creations—ensuring your prints are wash proof
After the course you'll leave with:
- A thorough understanding of screen printing and the various equipment used in the process
- Knowledge on the different types of products you can create using screen printing
- Your own screen printed garments that you'll create throughout the day
The Introduction to Screen Printing course is held in the GJS' modern 200 square metre training facility in Sydney.
During the course you'll create a single-colour print job, or you can also send in your own artwork ahead of time and print your own design on the day!
View the calendar for upcoming dates or email us for private course bookings. Classes are typically held for individuals or groups of up to 4 people max.
Stephen is our Screen Printing Supplies and Services Manager and has been with GJS since 2010. He attended the Sydney College of Graphic Arts at Ultimo for Screen printing as Trainee Screen printer for the Murian Transfer Company from 1980 – 1982.
He has had a long career in the screen printing and signage industry and his claim to fame is having “printed on just about every conceivable type of material around – with success!”
You can also see Stephen’s architectural printing at the Downing Centre local courts, the Australian Taxation Offices, Sydney Casino and Waverley Courthouse.
I really enjoyed the opportunity to ask any kind of questions and the depth of the knowledge of Stephen in the industry.
Friday, 26 July 2019
10:00 - 16:00
$299 per person (including GST)